Monday, February 24, 2014

it's too late to stop now












Van Morrison revealed the soulful power of his passion with these rapturous renditions of his repertoire and the music that inspired him.  He recorded 'It's Too Late to Stop Now' with the eleven piece Caledonia Soul Orchestra at The Troubadour in Los Angeles, California; the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium; and at The Rainbow in London during the summer of 1973. The lineup featured Van Morrison on vocals; Teressa "Terry" Adams on cello; Bill Atwood on trumpet and backing vocals; Nancy Ellis on viola; Tom Halpin on violin; David Hayes on bass guitar and backing vocals; Tim Kovatch on violin; Jef Labes on piano and organ; John Platania on guitar and backing vocals; Nathan Rubin on first violin; Jack Schroer on alto, tenor and baritone saxophones, tambourine, and backing vocals; and Dahaud Shaar (David Shaw) on drums and  backing vocals.  Morrison co-produced the album with  Ted Templeman.  


Morrison would expound:    "It's on Warner Brothers Records, it's a double set. Yeah, a two record set is what it is, contains live performances of things you've heard before and other things that I don't know if you've heard. It's done live, songs that were on albums and they came out very different live. Other songs that were written by other people. There is a Ray Charles song on it, a Sam Cooke song, a Sonny Boy Williamson and a Bert Berns song. ...  "I am getting more into performing. It's incredible. When I played Carnegie Hall in the fall something just happened. All of a sudden I felt like 'you're back into performing' and it just happened like that...A lot of times in the past I've done gigs and it was rough to get through them. But now the combination seems to be right and it's been clicking a lot. ... Yeah, well, I'm, I'm gettin' to, uh, I'm gettin into being back on the road because I'm lookin' at it from a different point of view. Like, this is kinda lookin' from this viewpoint of, that this is what you're doing now, y'know, I mean, this is what's happening now, um, rather than trying to fit it into any, um, kinda forum about songs that are off certain albums, or, uh, uh, but just playing, y'know, like, uh, how it feels, y'know, how does it feel, y'know, I mean, this is it, y'know. So you're in Detroit, and this is how it feels in Detroit, y'know, and ya' play whatever you feel, um, you'll play, rather than, uh, play, uh, y'know, 12 songs off two albums ya' just did, y'know, so... See, I was goin' at 'em, goin' at it from that angle before, and uh, it was gettin' draggey, y'know...Yeah. I enjoyed doin' [Them songs], y'know, it was a gas doin' 'em because I hadn't done 'em for about 8 or 9 years, y'know, so it was like fresh material at that point.... I like playing music. It's really a physical thing, it's why I got into it in the first place – my body has to play music, it has to come through me, I have to get it out of my system. My body needs to have exercise, my body needs to have sex, my body needs to play music. That's why I'm doing it."


'It's Too Late to Stop Now' went to number fifty-three on the US album chart.  





http://www.vanmorrison.com/





'It's Too Late to Stop Now'
full album:



Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now (Live) from floriploiesteanu on Vimeo.


All songs written by Van Morrison unless noted.

Side one
00:00    "Ain't Nothin' You Can Do" (Deadric Malone, Joseph Scott) – 3:44
03:37    "Warm Love" – 3:04
06:41    "Into the Mystic" – 4:33
11:06    "These Dreams of You" – 3:37
14:38    "I Believe to My Soul" (Ray Charles) – 4:09
Side two
18:44    "I've Been Working" – 3:56
22:38    "Help Me" (Sonny Boy Williamson II, Ralph Bass, Willie Dixon) – 3:25
25:38    "Wild Children" – 5:04
30:35    "Domino" – 4:48
35:06    "I Just Want to Make Love to You" (Dixon) – 5:16
Side three
40:00    "Bring It On Home to Me" (Sam Cooke) – 4:42
44:32    "Saint Dominic's Preview" – 6:18
50:46    "Take Your Hand Out of My Pocket" (Williamson II) – 4:04
54:45    "Listen to the Lion" – 8:43
Side four
1:03:21 "Here Comes the Night" (Bert Berns) – 3:14
1:06:33 "Gloria" – 4:16
1:10:29 "Caravan" – 9:20
1:19:18 "Cyprus Avenue" – 10:20
















Setlist:
0:00:00 - Heathrow Shuffle
0:03:58 - Ain't Nothing You Can Do
0:07:13 - Warm Love
0:11:03 - Snow In San Anselmo
0:15:58 - Help Me
0:19:35 - Into The Mystic
0:24:26 - I Believe To My Soul
0:29:01 - Moondance
0:35:05 - Foggy Mountain Top
0:41:19 - Street Choir
0:46:35 - Listen To The Lion
0:55:59 - I've Been Working
1:02:02 - I Just Want To Make Love To You
1:08:47 - Interview
1:21:16 - Listen To The Lion
1:31:04 - Gloria
1:35:15 - I've Been Working




No comments:

Post a Comment