Wednesday, November 7, 2012

the lion and the cobra








Sinéad Marie Bernadette O'Connor redefined female empowerment with the banshee caterwauls and delicate whispers of this confident and compelling catechism.  Her work with In Tua Nua and as singer for Ton Ton Macoute led to a contract with Ensign Records and work with U2's Edge on the soundtrack for the movie 'Captive'.  She spent four months working with producer Mick Glossop on recording her debut album; but she was unhappy with the results, which she thought sounded too traditional.  During that time she became involved with drummer John Reynolds and got pregnant.  Her manager Fachtna O'Ceallaigh convinced the record company to scrap the original recordings and let O'Connor produce new sessions with Kevin Moloney.  The new recordings featured O'Connor on vocals and guitar; Mike Clowes on keyboards; Rob Dean on guitar; Spike Hollifield on bass; and John Reynolds on drums.  

'The Lion and the Cobra' takes it title from Psalm 91.  O'Connor considered: "I would like to have a message as such, I would like to be hardcore and write these great songs but I don't.  Therefore I think those people are better than me. My songs are not reflective of life on the streets of x amount of people, politically, emotionally - they're reflective of life in my head, in my own heart but not anyone else's ... Just my own life, my own thoughts, my own insecurities and securities and strengths and weaknesses...My greatest strength is my strength.  In that I say very much what I think and that I don't get worried about the consequences.  In that, because I'm, if you like, in control of the band and it's my head on the block, whatever I say I have to be accountable for and I have to be strong that way and insist on things being done in the way I want them to be done.  And I'm very strong about certain difficulties with the music business - people think that if you're a girl under twenty you can't produce an album because you're working with people that are twenty-six and they've done it all before."


'The Lion and the Cobra' went to number fifty-two in Germany, thirty-seven in Sweden, thirty-six in the US, twenty-seven in the UK, twelve in Switzerland, and number four in New Zealand.  The album was nominated for a Grammy for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance.  It has been certified gold in the UK and the US.  O'Conner says:  "I like the fact that I can stand at a microphone and sceam something really vicious!  I like the idea of being able to wipe the floor with people because I open my mouth and scream."












http://www.sinead-oconnor.com/
















"Mandinka"    
O'Connor says:  "Mandinkas are an African tribe. They're mentioned in a book called Roots by Alex Haley, which is what the song is about. In order to understand it you must read the book." The single went to thirty-nine in Australia, twenty-four in the Netherlands, eighteen in New Zealand, seventeen in the UK, and number six in Ireland.  The song features Marco Pirroni on guitar.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xr7t_sinead-o-connor-mandinka_music

Sinead O'Connor Mandinka by Celtiemama






"Just Like U Said It Would B"  








"Troy"    
O'Connor says: "Troy, which is the most intense love song on the album, was definitely about how I felt I was being manipulated and how I felt I was being toyed with in that this person in particular who I madly, madly love when I was seventeen knew how I felt and was using that to get his way - not necessarily for sex.  I thing it's very manipulative and very dangerous and very insecure."  The single charted at number eight in the Netherlands. 



pulsedriver remix








"I Want Your (Hands on Me)"  hit seventy-seven in the UK and forty in New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLOPkQii7Bo

with MC Lyte:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7u7g7oV68&feature=related






"Jackie"   

Sinead O'Connor Jackie The lion and the cobra... by gerald_w-a








'The Lion and the Cobra' 
full album:





All tracks written by Sinéad O'Connor, except where noted. 

1. "Jackie"     2:28
2. "Mandinka"     3:46
3. "Jerusalem"   O'Connor, Ali McMordie, Mike Clowes, John Reynolds 4:20
4. "Just Like U Said It Would B"   O'Connor, Steve Wickham 4:32
5. "Never Get Old" (spoken-word intro by Enya)   4:39
6. "Troy"     6:34
7. "I Want Your (Hands on Me)"   O'Connor, Clowes, Reynolds, Rob Dean, Spike Holifield 4:42
8. "Drink Before the War"  5:25
9. "Just Call Me Joe"   O'Connor, Kevin Mooney, Leslie Winer 5:51








No comments:

Post a Comment