Saturday, November 24, 2012

bizarre ride II the pharcyde






The Pharcyde freaked the funk and took West Coast hip hop on a hilarious trip with the jazzed out grooves of this freestyle initiation.  The group started around the core of high school friends Tre "Slimkid3" Hardson, Emandu "Imani" Wilcox, and Romye "Bootie Brown" Robinson.  They hooked up with Derrick "Fatlip" Stewart and producer John "J-Swift" Martinez at an after-school music program where they learned about the music industry from teacher Reggie Andrews, who assisted them with a demo tape that got them a deal with Delicious Vinyl Records.  

'Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde' was produced primarily by J-Swift at Hollywood Sound with the Pharcyde credited on co-production, background vocals, and creative direction; including Fatlip on lead vocals and scratching; SlimKid 3, Imani, and Bootie Brown on lead vocals; J-Swift on piano, bass, rhodes, background vocals, and scratching; Buckwheat and Quinton on vocals; Rahsaan, Greg Padilla, Brandon Padilla, Cedra Walton, and Leslie Cooney on background vocals; and JMD on drums.  

J-Swift handled production on fifteen of the sixteen tracks on the album; but felt he was being treated unfairly with the band taking credit for his work:  "I would be in the studio crying ’cause I couldn’t believe that I was in the situation that I was in. I was like, What did I do to deserve this? All I did was try to help everybody, so I was kinda feeling sorry for myself. I was feeling suicidal but I knew that I didn’t have the balls to put a gun to my head, so I figured I’d smoke dope and just kill myself off this dope."

Swift left and the band brought in producer John "L.A. Jay" Barnes III to help them finish up with assistance from SlimKid 3.  The interactive flow between several MC's and the ridiculously inventive production come together in a masterful way.  While 'Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde' only charted at number seventy-five on the Billboard album chart and number twenty-three on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart, it has been certified gold and has gone on to become a hip-hop classic.  








0:00 - 4 Better or 4 Worse (Interlude), 
0:44 - Oh Shit, 
5:06 - It's Jiggaboo Time (Skit), 
6:33 - 4 Better or 4 Worse, 
11:37 - I'm That Type of Nigga, 
16:54 - If I Were President (Skit), 
17:55 - Soul Flower (Remix), 
22:18 - On the DL, 
26:47 - Pack the Pipe (Interlude), 
27:08 - Officer, 
31:09 - Ya Mama, 
35:30 - Passing Me By, 
40:34 - Otha Fish, 
45:55 - Quinton's on the Way (Skit), 
48:05 - Pack the Pipe, 
53:09 - Return of the B-Boy









No comments:

Post a Comment