Friday, July 27, 2012

your arsenal








Morrissey revitalized himself while courting controversy with the caustic and clever social commentary of this glammed out rockabilly tour de force. In the months before recording 'Your Arsenal', he began rehearsing and writing songs with a new band. When it came time to go into the studio, he brought in glam rock guitar virtuoso Mick Ronson to produce. Morrissey says: "I chose him because he's a very strong musician, and I wanted to make a record which had a real sense of physicality and body to it." He adds: "I’ve always appreciated Ronson. He’s a very refined musician who was immensely huge in England in the early seventies when he played with David Bowie’s Spiders From Mars and who also made two partly brilliant solo records. He was very pleasant to work with. Which you can hear on the record, if I may say so. Mick is actually one of the nicest people I’ve ever met."

The result is one of the most consistent and confident records of his career. Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer create a twin guitar onslaught; with Gary Day on bass; and Spencer Cobrin on drums. Morrissey handles all of the vocals: "I didn't want to use a lyric sheet. I wanted to make as physical a record as I possibly could instead of constantly being curled up in a little ball at the foot of the bed." Most of the songs were co-written with Whyte.

The reference to the extremist National Front led to accusations of racism. Morrissey says: "I can't prevent people from raving. Since, in life, the great majority of people only believe their views don't matter much. I can't, all the same, go and talk face to face with every single person who'd decide to think certain things wrong or false about me. For instance, I don't make heavy metal and there will never be any ambiguity. In searching in every direction nobody would find any clue which could prove that heavy metal isn't reactionary, a simplistic music for morons. My case is different. It seems to me, whatever people think of me, that it's clear I'm not the last of the idiots, I'm a being endowed with a certain intelligence. And I defy any objective person to find in my lyrics or in my past the least indication in which I wish to harm any fellow being. I don't want to and I'd be truly incapable of it. What more can I say?"
'Your Arsenal' went to number forty-two in Sweden, twenty-nine in Canada, twenty-one in the US, twelve in Australia, and number four in the UK. It was nominated for a Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album.








http://www.morrissey-solo.com/


@Morrissey








'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side' was co-written by Morrissey and Mark E. Nevin. 



Someone kindly told me 
That you'd wasted 
Eight of nine lives
Oh, give yourself a break 
Before you break down 
You're gonna need someone on your side 








'Glamorous Glue' features the line "we look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead." Morrissey says: "What I mean by this is all television and radio broadcasters now speak with American accents. The English news is very interesting because it's totally focused on America. Everything that happens in America is constantly reported on the English news while in America, England is never referred to and British politics are completely meaningless. I mean the country could completely explode and disappear into outer space and America would not mention that on the daily news. That's a big failing in American culture, it's entirely self-obsessed. If it finally did realize that other countries do actually exist, this country might be a nicer place. British broadcasting is obsessed with L.A. and it's really upsetting and I think it's sad as well."







'We'll Let You Know' gives the album its title and gives voice to football hooliganism. Morrissey says: "I understand the level of patriotism, the level of frustration and the level of jubilance. I understand the overall character. I understand their aggression and I understand why it must be released...I'm not a football hooligan...but I understand the character. I just do. I've got a computer at home for such things...I can't fully explain. When I see reports on the television about hooliganism in Sweden or Denmark on somewhere, I'm actually amused. Is that a horrible thing to say? ... As long as people don't die, I am amused."


We're all smiles 
Then, honest, I swear, it's the turnstiles 
That make us hostile 
Oh
We will descend 
On anyone unable to defend 
Themselves 
Oh








'The National Front Disco' addresses the growing racial unrest in Britain. Moz says: "Well I like to feel, in some small way, that I'm not actually restricted in anything I wish to write about. Of course, within the exciting world of pop music, the reality is that we are restricted. Whether you chose to write about wheelchair-bound people, November Spawned A Monster, or the subject of racism, The National Front Disco, the context of the song is often overlooked. People look at the title and shudder and say, Whatever is in that song shouldn't exist because the subject, to millions of people, is so awful...I don't want to sound horrible or pessimistic but I don't really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other. I don't really think they ever will. The French will never like the English. The English will never like the French. That tunnel will collapse."

David, the wind blows 
The wind blows
Bits of your life away 
Your friends all say
"Where is our boy? Oh, we've lost our boy" 
But they should know 
Where you've gone 
Because again and again you've explained that 
You're going to
Oh, you're going to
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah 
England for the English! 










'Certain People I Know' charted at thirty-five in the UK.

I'd hate to be like 
Certain people I know 
They break their necks 
And can't afford to
Get them fixed 
Ah, they'd sacrifice all 
Of their principles for 
Anything cashable 
I do believe it's terrible 










'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful' was the first single. It went to fifty-five in Australia, seventeen in the UK, nine in Ireland, and peaked at number two on the US modern rock tracks chart.

We hate it when our friends become successful 
Oh, look at those clothes 
Now look at that face, it's so old 
And such a video ! 
Well, it's really laughable 
Ha, ha, ha










'You're the One for Me, Fatty' went to eighty-five in Australia, nineteen in the UK, and sixteen in Ireland.


You're the One for me, fatty 
You're the One I really, really love 
And I will stay 
Promise you'll say 
If I'm ever in your way
A-hey 








'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday' was another composition by Morrissey and Nevin.  It was later covered by David Bowie.  

You say that the day just never arrives 
And it's never seemed so far away 
Still, I know it's gonna happen someday 
To you 
Please wait
Don't lose faith








'Tomorrow' went to number one on the US modern rock tracks chart.

Tomorrow 
Will it really come? 
And if it does come 
Will I still be human? 
All I ask of you is one thing that you never do 
Would you put your arms around me? 
I won't tell anyone











'Your Arsenal'
full album:


All lyrics written by Morrissey; all music composed by Alain Whyte, except as noted.

1. "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side" Mark E. Nevin 3:38
2. "Glamorous Glue" 4:01
3. "We'll Let You Know" 5:17
4. "The National Front Disco" 4:23
5. "Certain People I Know" 3:11
6. "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" 2:29
7. "You're the One for Me, Fatty" 2:58
8. "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" 5:07
9. "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" Nevin 4:20
10. "Tomorrow" 4:05



No comments:

Post a Comment