Saturday, June 9, 2012

transa








Caetano Veloso recorded this sexy and sensitive improvisational mix of politics and passion while still in exile from Brazil. He and Gilberto Gil spent two years in London after being arrested and then deported.  Veloso remembers how the repressive Brazilian goverment felt threatened by the metaphorical implications of their music. "They didn't imprison us for any song or any particular thing that we said.   It was a difficult atmosphere for them to understand, so they thought, 'We might as well put them in prison.' " 'Transa' is the second album that he made while in London; but unlike the somber orchestrated first, this nostalgic set is acoustic and sounds more joyful even if the lyrics still betray his melancholy.  Veloso remembers: "London felt dark, and I felt far away from myself."  Ralph Mace produced the jam style sessions that had Veloso singing in both English and Portuguese and playing guitar accompanied by Brazilian friends Gal Costa on vocals, Macalé on guitar and musical direction, Jards Macale on guitar, Moacir Albuquerque on bass; and Tuti Moreno and Áureo de Sousa on percussion.  Drawing from Bahian folk music, as well as bossa nova, jazz, reggae, and rock and roll; 'Transa' marks the beginning of something new for Veloso.  Shortly after it was released, he was allowed back to his beloved Brazil.  








http://www.caetanoveloso.com.br/













'You Don't Know Me' speaks to his sense of alienation in London.  


"Feel so lonely 

The world is spinning round slowly 
There’s nothing you can show me 
From behind the wall"






'Nine Out of Ten' dabbles in reggae and rock.  


"I walk down Portobello road to the sound of reggae 

I’m alive 
The age of gold, yes the age of old 
The age of gold 
The age of music is past 
I hear them talk as I walk yes I hear them talk 
I hear they say 
Expect the final blast; 
I walk down Portobello road to the sound of reggae 
I’m alive 
I’m alive, vivo muito vivo vivo vivo 
Feel the sound of music 
Banging in my belly belly belly
Know that one day I must die 
I’m alive 
And I know that one day I must die 
I’m alive 
Yes I know that one day I must die 
I’m alive vivo muito vivo vivo vivo 
In the eletric cinema or on the telly telly telly 
Nine out of ten movie stars make me cry 
I’m alive 
And nine out of ten movie stars make me cry 
I’m alive"






'Triste Bahia'  put a poem by Gregório de Matos Guerra to music.  






'It's a Long Way'


"Woke up this morning

Singing an old, old Beatles song
We’re not that strong, my lord
You know we ain’t that strong
I hear my voice among others
In the break of day
Hey, brothers
Say, brothers
It’s a long long long long way"





 'Mora na Filosofia' is a rock version of a classic samba by  Monsueto Menezes and Arnaldo Passos.






  

'Neolithic Man'

"If you look from your window at the morning star

You won’t see me
You’ll only see that you can’t see very far
God spoke to me
From inside the newstone one day
You’re my son"







'Nostalgia (That's What Rock'n Roll Is All About)'


"You sing about waking up in the morning

But you’re never up before noon
You look completely different from those straights
Who walked around on the moon
The clothes you wear
Would suit and old times baloons
You’re allways nowhere
But you’ll realize pretty soon
That’s all that you care
Isn’t worth a twelve bar tune
You won’t believe you’re just one more flower
Among so many flowers that sprout
You just feel faintly pround when you hear they shout
(Very loud) you’re not allowed in here, get out
That’s what rock’n’roll is all about
That’s what rock’n’roll is all about
I mean, that’s what rock’n’roll was all about"














'Transa' 
full album:




1. "You Don't Know Me" 

2. "Nine Out of Ten" 
3. "Triste Bahia" (Caetano Veloso, Gregório de Mattos) 
4. "It's a Long Way" 
5. "Mora na Filosofia" (Monsueto, Arnaldo Passos) 
6. "Neolithic Man" 
7. "Nostalgia (That's What Rock'n Roll is All About)"







No comments:

Post a Comment