Tuesday, June 5, 2012

respect









The Queen of Soul took care of business and earned her title with this classic feminist call for consideration.  Otis Redding wrote 'Respect' for Speedo Sims and his Singing Demons; but decided to record it himself when they couldn't get a good version.  He said:   "That's one of my favorite songs because it has a better groove than any of my records. It says something, too: 'What you want, baby, you got it; what you need, baby, you got it; all I'm asking for is a little respect when I come home.' The song lines are great. The band track is beautiful. It took me a whole day to write it and about twenty minutes to arrange it. We cut it once and that was it. Everybody wants respect, you know."

Producer Jerry Wexler brought the song to Aretha Franklin and she recored her version with her sisters, Carolyn and Erma, singing backup.  Franklin said:  "I could see more potential in Respect – in fact, I can say I knew that would be a hit song. Sometimes I can't get a song right in the recording studio, though. We usually work things out beforehand, not like the Memphis studio where they don't plan things like that, but can end up with a master. We usually know what we're going to do. I sing and the musicians kind of fit things around me."

Franklin came up with a new arrangement, added the bridge with the spelling out of the title and the "sock it to me" line, and even played piano on the track.  Engineer Tom Dowd had also worked on Redding's version: "I walked out into the studio and said, 'What's the next song?' Aretha starts singing it to me, I said, 'I know that song, I made it with Otis Redding like three years ago.' The first time I recorded 'Respect,' was on the Otis Blue album, and she picked up on it. She and Carolyn were the ones who conceived of it coming from the woman's point of view instead of the man's point of view, and when it came to the middle, Carolyn said, 'Take care, TCB.' Aretha jumped on it and that was how we did 'Respect.'"

Wexler recalled:  "The fervor in Aretha's voice demanded that respect; and more respect also involved sexual attention of the highest order. What else would 'sock it to me' mean?" Franklin's version was a cultural phenomenon, establishing her as the voice of the feminist movement.  It went to number ten in the UK, seven in Italy, two in Canada, and topped the charts in Australia, as well as on the US pop and R&B charts.  'Respect' also won her two Grammys for  "Best Rhythm & Blues Recording" and "Best Female Rhythm & Blues Solo Vocal Performance".   When Otis Redding heard Aretha's version of 'Respect' he said, "I just lost my song. That girl stole my song." 








http://www.arethafranklin.net/









(Ooh) What you want
(Ooh) Baby, I got
(Ooh) What you need
(Ooh) Do you know I've got it
(Ooh) All I'm askin'
(Ooh) Is for a little respect when you come home (Just a little bit)
Hey baby (Just a little bit) when you get home
(Just a little bit) mister (Just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong (Ooh) 'cause I don't want to (Ooh)
All I'm askin' (Ooh)
Is for a little respect when you come home (Just a little bit)
Baby (Just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (Just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home (Just a, just a, just a, just a)
Yeah baby (Just a, just a, just a, just a)
When you get home (Just a little bit)
Yeah (Just a little bit)

Ooh, your kisses (Ooh)
Sweeter than honey (Ooh)
And guess what (Ooh)
So is my money (Ooh)
All I want you to do (Ooh) for me
Is give it to me when you get home (Re, re, re ,re)
Yeah baby (Re, re, re ,re)
Whip it to me (Respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now (Just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care... TCB

Oh (Sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
A little respect (Sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
Whoa, babe (Just a little bit)
A little respect (Just a little bit)
I get tired (Just a little bit)
Keep on tryin' (Just a little bit)
You're runnin' out of foolin' (Just a little bit)
And I ain't lyin' (Just a little bit)
(Re, re, re, re) 'spect
When you come home (Re, re, re ,re)
Or you might walk in (Respect, just a little bit)
And find out I'm gone (Just a little bit)
I got to have (Just a little bit)

A little respect (Just a little bit)









Otis Redding's version went to number thirty-five on the pop chart and number four on the R&B chart in 1965.



No comments:

Post a Comment