Tuesday, April 2, 2013

elephant








The White Stripes served up some raw and ragged blackened blues and stampeded onto the world stage with the thunderous wail of this triumphant tour de force.  After the breakthrough success of 'White Blood Cells'Jack White and his ex-wife Meg went to Toe Rag Studios in London with engineer Liam Watson to record 'Elephant'.  White was drawn to the old equipment which included a duct-taped 8-track tape machine.  The sessions featured Jack White on lead vocals, guitar, keyboards, production, and mixing; Meg White on drums, backing vocals, lead vocals and organ on "In the Cold, Cold Night", co-lead vocals on "Well It's True That We Love One Another"; with Mort Crim doing the speech on "Little Acorns", and Holly Golightly performing co-lead vocals on "Well It's True That We Love One Another".  'Elephant' was dedicated to  "the death of the sweetheart".  White says:    "I really don't know, but that word and its connotations just appeal to me. I like the idea of the sweetheart and the gentleman.  It's just what those words mean to people. I like the notion of innocence. It's hard to remain innocent but ... Well, I don't swear in songs or anything like that so it's that idea, too...I like the idea of that, just opening yourself up to another way of thinking and another perspective."



'Elephant' stomped to number twenty-four in the Netherlands, twenty-one in France, seven in Sweden, six in New Zealand and the US, five in Canada, five in Australia, three in Ireland and Norway, and number one in the UK.  The album was nominated for a Grammy for Album of the Year and won for Best Alternative Music Album and Best Rock Song.  White considers:    "I'm in a two-piece band and I produce the albums. It's very easy to get my idea across."










www.whitestripes.com

https://thirdmanrecords.com/about/artists/the-white-stripes






"Seven Nation Army" hit number seventy-six on the US pop chart, forty-two in the Netherlands, twenty-two in Ireland, seventeen in Australia, seven in the UK, and number one on the US alternative chart.  It won a Grammy for Best Rock Song.  

I'm gonna fight 'em off
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back 
They're gonna rip it off 
Taking their time right behind my back 
And I'm talking to myself at night 
Because I can't forget 
Back and forth through my mind 
Behind a cigarette 
And the message coming from my eyes 
It says leave it alone 
Don't want to hear about it 
Every single one's got a story to tell 
Everyone knows about it 
From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell 
And if I catch it coming back my way 
I'm gonna serve it to you 
And that ain't what you want to hear, 
But that's what I'll do 
And the feeling coming from my bones 
It says find a home 
I'm going to Wichita 
Far from this opera forever more 
I'm gonna work the straw, 
Make the sweat drip out of every pore 
And I'm pleading, and I'm pleading, 
And I'm pleading right before the Lord 
All the words are gonna bleed from me 
And I will think no more 
And the stains coming from my blood 
Tell me go back home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY







"I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" went to twenty-five on the US alternative chart and thirteen in the UK. 







"Black Math" 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phcrV7LZ7GE





"In the Cold, Cold Night" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIRLgdCn1v4



"I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart" 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZuIQTFD00





"Little Acorns" 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZrZZtxtQNo




"Hypnotize"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDgHDC1ZMU




"Well It's True That We Love One Another" 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEDr7Gtd_hE







'Elephant' 
full album:



All tracks written by Jack White, except where noted.


1. "Seven Nation Army" 3:52
2. "Black Math" 3:04
3. "There's No Home for You Here" 3:44
4. "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) 2:46
5. "In the Cold, Cold Night" 2:58
6. "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart" 3:21
7. "You've Got Her in Your Pocket" 3:40
8. "Ball and Biscuit" 7:19
9. "The Hardest Button to Button" 3:32
10. "Little Acorns" (White, Mort Crim) 4:09
11. "Hypnotize" 1:48
12. "The Air Near My Fingers" 3:40
13. "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine" 3:18
14. "Well It's True That We Love One Another" 2:43


bonus tracks
15. "Who's to Say" (Dan John Miller) 4:36
16. "Good to Me" (Brendan Benson) 2:07




No comments:

Post a Comment