Monday, September 24, 2012

sea change












Beck transformed heartbreak into mellow gold with the acoustic undercurrent of this cathartic confessional. Most of the songs on 'Sea Change' were written in a week after the end of his relationship with Leigh Limon in 2000. Beck says: "Songs sit in my head for a while. I have dozens in there, songs from eight years ago that I've written but never recorded. After a while, I just sort of decide to record them."


That happened two years later when he went into the studio with producer Nigel Godrich. Beck was ready to do something different:  "I respect musicians who put out the same record over and over again and develop some thing. I do. You know, my grandfather was an artist, and in the early '60s he started doing images of the Venus figure. He spent thirty-five years doing that figure over and over and over. He explored every aspect 0f what that figure could do and every material you could apply to it, and there's something beautiful about that. But I just decided to cast my net a bit wider. Maybe I won't catch as much...Art is important. It's just an integrity thing. Somebody else is satisfied by five Bentleys. I'm satisfied by a beautiful string arrangement...It's just a different part of myself. I don't believe that one thing tells you more about a person than the other thing. When somebody is crying, that's no better an indication of them than when they're laughing. They're all different pieces...The lyrics are in the tradition of songwriting that uses plain language."

'Sea Change' went to number fifty-three in the Netherlands, thirty-eight in Germany, thirty-four in Japan, thirty in Austria, twenty-six in New Zealand, twenty-three in Finland, twenty in the UK, fifteen in Australia, thirteen in France, eight in the US, six in Denmark, five in Canada, and number one in Norway. Beck considers:  "Looking back, there are maybe certain points where I went for something goofy or playful where maybe I originally intended to say something more thoughtful. But now I'm a little more willing or able to find the value in saying something simple, not having to put something clever in there all the time. And that was a real discipline with 'Sea Change'. It was really needed."










http://www.beck.com/











"The Golden Age"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk







 "Paper Tiger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VoJMUpzAyI






"Guess I'm Doing Fine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Erm1KBfdU





"Lonesome Tears"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWe6bMVvTzk






"Lost Cause"


Sea Change "Lost Cause" from Beck Hansen on Vimeo.








"Sunday Sun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BFjw7Bh48













'Sea Change' 
full album:




All tracks written by Beck Hansen. 

1. "The Golden Age"   4:35
2. "Paper Tiger"   4:36
3. "Guess I'm Doing Fine"   4:49
4. "Lonesome Tears"   5:38
5. "Lost Cause"   3:47
6. "End of the Day"   5:03
7. "It's All in Your Mind"   3:06
8. "Round the Bend"   5:15
9. "Already Dead"   2:59
10. "Sunday Sun"   4:44
11. "Little One"   4:27
12. "Side of the Road"   3:23





Beck - Live - Union Chapel, London, 2003 (Full Show)





00:48 - The Golden Age
05:01 - It's All In Your Mind
08:30 - Guess I'm Doing Fine
14:22 - Lonesome Tears
19:00 - Nicotine & Gravy
24:34 - Lost Cause
28:18 - Ship In A Bottle
33:04 - Fourteen Rivers, Fourteen Floods
36:49 - Loser
44:04 - Nobody's Fault But My Own
48:53 - Lord Only Knows / Hot In Here









No comments:

Post a Comment