Wednesday, June 15, 2011

duran duran







These New Romantics staged a revolution with their lush techno dance music and groundbreaking visuals, and became a worldwide teen sensation. The Fab Five of Nick and Simon and the three unrelated Taylors formed in Birmingham. Taking their name from a character from 'Barbarella', Duran Duran (purse your lips and say your d's like j's) was originally conceived as a fusion of the sound of the Sex Pistols and Chic, and their discofied new wave also channelled the theatrical style of the Doors and Roxy Music.

John and Nick started the band with singer Stephen Duffy who left to form The Lilac Time with his brother. Next came Roger. Andy answered an ad in 'Melody Maker'. Simon met the band through a friend who worked at the their hangout the Rum Runner, impressing them with his pink leopard print trousers and book of poetry.

Colin Thurston produced the album and from the syncopated camera clicking percussion that starts 'Girls On Film' to the elegant arabic intrumental 'Tel Aviv' their post punk synth pop comes off slick and strong and sassy on every track.

Ushering in the age of MTV, the band elevated music videos to an art form by using film directors to shoot them.



Their first single 'Planet Earth' established their futuristic fashion with a call to arms to fill the void and reached number twelve in the UK, number eight in Australia, and number one in Portugal. Film director Russell Mulcahy produced the video.

"Only came outside to watch the nightfall with the rain
I heard you making patterns rhyme
Like some new romantic looking for the tv sound
You'll see I'm right some other time"






'Careless Memories' stalled on the British charts at number thirty seven. The video was directed by Perry Haines.

"I walk out into the sun
I try to find a new day
but the whole place
it just screams in my eyes
where are you now?
cuz I don't want to meet you
I think I'd die--
I think I'd laugh at you--
I think I'd cry--
What am I supposed to do,
follow you? "







After the disappointing response to 'Careless Memories', EMI let the band choose their next single. 'Girls On Film' hit number five in Britain, number four in New Zealand, and number one in Portugal. Originally co-written by Andy Wickett, a previous singer for the band. When he left the rest of the band bought his rights to it. The racy video was directed by Godley & Creme and created an uproar for its nudity and an edited version was released.

"Wider baby, smiling you've just made a million
Fuses pumping live heat twisting out on a wire
Take one last glimpse into the night
I'm touching close I'm holding bright holding tight
Give me shudders with a whisper,
Take me high 'til I'm shooting a star"










The video for 'Night Boat' features an extended synthesizer intro, zombies and Shakespeare. Russell Mulcahy directed this mini horror film on the Caribbean island of Antigua more than a year before Michael Jackson did his video for 'Thriller'.

"Standing on the edge of a quay no lights flashing on the water for me
Fog in my mind darkens my eyes silently streaming for a distant sound
Ripple river yellows rising for a breath of breeding and drowns
Stillness overcomes me in the night listen to the rising water moan"






'Is There Anyone Out There?'

"My face in the mirror shows a break in time
A crack in the ocean that does not align
I tried to sleep last night, but I caught you dreaming
About days we used to wonder away
Outside"





"To The Shore" was on the original release.  It was replaced by the new single "Is There Something I Should Know" on the reissue of the album in 1983.  








'Duran Duran'

full album:





All tracks written by Duran Duran.

1. "Girls on Film" 3:32
2. "Planet Earth" 4:03
3. "Is There Anyone Out There" 4:02
4. "Careless Memories" 3:55
5. "Is There Something I Should Know?" 4:07
6. "(Waiting for the) Night Boat" 5:24
7. "Sound of Thunder" 4:07
8. "Friends of Mine" 5:43

9. "Tel Aviv" 5:20








3 comments:

  1. Thank you for a treat of a post on DD! Love the video links - Night Boat has always been an absolute favorite DD song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Thank you ever so much!! :)
    @}~~}~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in 1981 Planet Earth introduced an 8 year old me to New Romantics and, more importantly, Synths. This introduction changed my musical life, and I have never looked back since. I bought the album as soon as I could, and loved and cherished every single track. From the sweeping strings and haunting chant of Tel Aviv to the catchy chorus of Friends of Mine, there was nothing that I didn't love about this album. And I still love it to this day. Despite the 30 years that have passed it still sounds as fresh to me now as it did back in the day.

    Thanks for a post reminding me just how cutting edge this album was, and just how influential it was on my life. I still listen to it whenever the mood takes me, and I still long to have an analogue synth to play Tel Aviv on!

    ReplyDelete