Tuesday, June 28, 2011

crowded house










The Crowdies endured a cramped Hollywood bungalow to record the Beatlesque pop of their polished debut album with Mitchell Froom. They were originally a quartet called "The Mullanes" (after Neil Finn's middle name) with Craig Hooper from the Reels. By the time they signed a deal with Capitol Records, Hooper was out and the label wanted them to change the name. After lots of discussion,"Largest Living Things" gave way to "Crowded House" in reference to their living quarters. The songs run from angsty rock to jangly pop to beautiful ballads and the clean production lets them speak for themselves. Though 'Crowded House' was a hit around the world; it would take the album an entire year to reach the top of the album chart in Australia.

Songwriter and lead singer Neil Finn recalls: "Paul Hester and I went onwards from Split Enz to Crowded House, we wanted to be in a three piece band that could fit into one rental car . We found our bass player Nick Seymour , fresh from the catwalk, clearly loving the attention. We liked how he wore his bass low, had aspirations to funk and after a while we let him paint our suits with Masonic symbols. Despite all that and along the way we became a really good band. I think we tried to make ourselves even smaller by turning to acoustic, bass, snare drum, three part harmonising our way through lounge rooms and restaurants, busking, unplugged, whatever they ended up calling it on MTV. It made us very interested in our audience and we learnt how to draw them in, to sing together like it’s a party.That became our way of doing things, wishing for accidents, showing artifice and awkwardness the door."
















The shimmering 'Don't Dream It's Over' was a worldwide smash, topping the charts in Canada and New Zealand and peaking at number two in the US. Producer Mitchell Froom did the 'Whiter Shade of Pale'-ish keyboard solo. The song has been used to promote the New Zealand Tourism Board.

"There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me"




'Something So Strong' was one of the first songs Finn wrote for Crowded House; but it was reworked in the studio to the extent that Froom got a songwriting credit as well. It peaked at number three in New Zealand and was a top ten hit in the US and Canada.

"Love can make you weep
Can make you run for cover.
Roots that spread so deep
Bring life to frozen ground."





'Now We're Getting Somewhere' was a top forty hit in New Zealand.

"When you took me to your room
I swear I said surrender
Ooh when you opened up your mouth
I saw the words fall out
Though nothing much has changed
I swear I will surrender
And there is pain in my heart
We can choose what we choose to believe"





'Mean To Me' was Crowded House's first single. It was only released in Australia, where it made it to number twenty six on the pop chart.

"I could not escape
A plea from the heart
You know what it means to me
She said don't walk away
I'm down on my knees
So please don't be mean to me"




Crowded House - Mean To Me by jpdc11





'World Where You Live' was the first single released outside of Australia; but it peaked at number forty three there.

"And here we lie against each other
These four walls could never hold us
We're looking for wide open spaces
High above the kitchen
And we're strangers here
On our way to some other place"








The funky album-closer 'That's What I Call Love' was co-written by Finn and Hestor. Bass player Nick Seymour's playing on the demo for this song is allegedly what got him into the group.

"Feeling devastated
That's what I call
Livin' in your memory
That's what I call
Tired and deflated
That's what I call love"







'Crowded House'
full album:





All songs written and composed by Neil Finn, except where noted. 

1. "Mean to Me"   3:15
2. "World Where You Live"   3:07
3. "Now We're Getting Somewhere"   4:09
4. "Don't Dream It's Over"   3:56
5. "Love You 'Til the Day I Die"   3:31
6. "Something So Strong" (Finn, Mitchell Froom) 2:51
7. "Hole in the River" (Finn, Eddie Rayner) 4:02
8. "Can't Carry On"   3:57
9. "I Walk Away"   3:06
10. "Tombstone"   3:30

11. "That's What I Call Love" (Finn, Paul Hester) 3:39




No comments:

Post a Comment